In consideration of participating in equine activities including receiving education and instruction on riding on trails in wooded and open terrain (Trail Lesson) on horses belonging to Hudson on Horseback A/K/A Friendship Equestrian Center, Inc., (FEC), I agree to the terms and conditions of this Trail Riding Lesson Contract.
Note. A capitalized word or initials in parentheses, e.g. (FEC), that follows words in italics, refers to the words in italics.
Trail Lesson Fee. I agree that the Trail Lesson Fee is $100 for approximately 1 hour of instruction and rental of an FEC horse and tack. FEC does not charge a fee to enter FEC premises or to observe equine activities.
Trail Lesson Contents. The Trail Lesson Fee includes educational instruction in handling horses and riding on trails in wooded and open terrain, such as: Safety principles, skills, and procedures; horse handling; communicating with horses while riding, such as, how to steer, accelerate, decelerate, and stop; learning how to navigate changes in terrain or obstacles such as a stream or uneven ground.
Payment by PayPal. I agree to pay the Trail Lesson Fee via the www.fecdressage.com website using PayPal.
Assumption of Risks and Waiver of Liability Contracts. When I arrive on FEC premises, I am required to provide FEC with a signed Assumption of Risk & Release of Liability Contract (Assumption of Risk Contract) from each adult and child for whom I am paying a Trail Lesson Fee and from each adult and child who is accompanying paying participants onto FEC premises but who will not be paying a fee. A signed Assumption of Risk Contract is required to remain on FEC premises or to observe or participate in FEC equine activities.
Rules of Conduct. I agree to the following rules:
1. To check the weather the morning of my ride so I am appropriately dressed for the day’s weather.
2. To wear shoes that cover my entire foot from toe to heel. I understand that wearing hard soled, heeled shoes such as cowboy boots or English-style riding boots for my Trail Lesson is advised. I agree I am not permitted to wear sandals, clogs, open toed or shoes with heel straps when riding.
3. To wear long pants that cover my ankles, such as jeans or sturdy stretch pants.
4. To wear close fitting clothing that is less likely to flap or catch on things such as branches or tack.
5. If I am not wearing footwear or clothing that comply with the Rules of Conduct that I forfeit my Trail Lesson and my Trail Lesson Fee and I am not permitted to ride and may not be permitted to remain on FEC premises.
6. I may only handle or ride an FEC horse if I am wearing a horse riding helmet. FEC has helmets available for my use at no additional fee. I agree that a Child must wear a horse riding helmet at all times that she or he is handling a horse or riding.
7. I am not permitted to ride a FEC horse while carrying any backpack, bag, or other item.
8. When I check in for my Trail Lesson that the FEC instructor will collect to carry in her or his saddle bag, my cellular telephone, camera, smart watch, and any similar devices. My devices may be made available to me during what FEC determines to be an emergency situation. My devices will be returned to me at the end of the lesson. I agree that FEC is not responsible for consequences of any missed communications or damage to devices. If I prefer, I may leave my device(s) locked in my vehicle. FEC instructors will carry walkie-talkie radios to communicate with FEC staff closer to the FEC Hudson on Horseback reception area.
9. At the end of my Trail Lesson I have an opportunity to take photos or have them taken, I may not interrupt the Trail Lesson for pictures.
10. I may not ride an FEC horse while under the influence of any alcohol, drugs, medication, or other substance.
11. I may not lead or ride an FEC horse outside designated areas.
12. I may not exceed the maximum weight limit for the FEC horse of 250 pounds. If I exceed the weight limit, I forfeit my Trail Lesson and my Trail Lesson Fee and I am not permitted to ride.
13. A Child must be 8 years of age or older to be permitted to handle or ride Horses.
14. I, and a Child, if applicable, I will ask for help if my Child or I do not understand warnings, rules, signs, or instructions.
15. If FEC staff or instructors direct me, I agree to reasonably follow their instructions.
16. I will reasonably follow these rules and other FEC rules; signs, warnings, and Visitor Responsibilities.
17. If I, or a Child, if applicable, do not follow the Rules of Conduct or FEC staff or instructor directions, I or the Child, may forfeit my Trail Lesson and my Trail Lesson Fee.
18. FEC has the authority to terminate my own or my Child’s participation and ask my Child and me to leave FEC’s premises if FEC decides that my Child or I is not abiding by the rules or my Child or I is endangering myself, other people, or Horses.
19. I am required to conduct myself within my ability to manage and control the horse I am handling or riding and a Child I am accompanying has the same duty.
20. I am required to refrain from acting in a way that may cause or contribute to injury, loss, damage property, or death to myself or others and any child I am accompanying has the same duty.
21. If I am an adult who accompanies a Child onto FEC premises for a Trail Lesson, that I am responsible for returning to FEC premises prior to the end of the Trail Lesson to supervise and pick up the Child.
22. An Assumption of Risk Contract signed by each visitor onto FEC premises and by each Child’s parent or legal guardian is required for a Child to remain on FEC premises or to participate in FEC equine activities.
23. I am required to provide to FEC when I arrive on FEC premises a signed Assumption of Risk Contract for each Child who I accompany onto FEC premises.
Cancellation Period. If I cancel my Trail Lesson booking at least three full days in advance of the day of my scheduled Trail Lesson, FEC agrees to refund my Trail Lesson Fee minus PayPal fees. If I cancel within three full days in advance of the day of my scheduled Trail Lesson; FEC, in its sole reasonable discretion, may permit rescheduling of my Trail Lesson in lieu of forfeiting my Trail Lesson Fee.
Limitations on Availability of Trail Lessons. I understand and agree that FEC makes every reasonable effort to provide me with instruction and an FEC horse for my Trail Lesson at the scheduled time. I understand and agree that FEC does not guarantee that the horse and the Trail Lesson will be available at the scheduled time since weather, horse health, or other circumstances might prevent FEC from providing the horse or the Trail Lesson as scheduled. If FEC postpones or cancels my Trail Lesson, FEC agrees to make reasonable efforts to reschedule to a time convenient and available for both me and FEC. If FEC is unable to reschedule to a time convenient and available for me, FEC will refund my Trail Lesson Fee minus PayPal fees.
Timely Keeping of Lesson Appointment. I agree to be present in the FEC Hudson on Horseback reception area, dressed in required clothing and footwear, and prepared to ride no later than 15 minutes prior to my scheduled Trail Lesson time. If I do not do so, the Trail Lesson will start without me and I forfeit my Trail Lesson Fee and my Trail Lesson “ticket” is considered used for Safety in Agricultural Tourism Act purposes.
Minor Child Participants. I agree that a minor child or children (Child) must be 8 years of age or older to be permitted to handle or ride horse or to participate in a Trail Lesson. I agree that a properly signed Assumption of Risk Contract is necessary for a Child to participate in FEC equine activities or to remain on FEC premises. I agree that to be properly signed an Assumption of Risk Contract must be signed by a Child’s parent or legal guardian. I agree to provide to FEC prior to the Trail Lesson a properly signed Assumption of Risk Contract for each Child who accompanies me onto FEC premises and for each Child who participates in a Trail Lesson. If I am not a Child’s parent, I agree to forward to the Child’s parents or legal guardian a copy of Assumption of Risk Contract for them to review, agree to, sign, and return to me prior to my arrival at FEC premises.
Other Warranties and Representations. I warrant and represent that: I am the person I am representing myself to be. I am 18 years of age or older. I am the person paying Trail Lesson Fees for me and, if applicable, for other participants, to receive instruction in how to ride on trails in wooded and open terrain while riding FEC horses. If applicable, I am the Parent or Legal Guardian of a Child; I am authorized to act on behalf of the Child; I consent to the Child’s participation in FEC equine activities, including, but not limited to a Trail Lesson; and, the Child I am paying a Trail Lesson Fee for is 8 years of age or older. I have verified the accuracy of the ages and personal details including riding ability and experience, and email addresses, of all the people for whom I am paying Trail Lesson Fees. I am acting for myself and all of my family, heirs, agents, representatives, successors and assignees. If I am paying fees for others, including a Child, I am acting for all the participants whose fees I am paying and for all of our families, heirs, agents, representatives, successors and assignees.
Venue and Severability. Any actions under this Contract must be brought in the courts of Columbia County, New York. If a Court finds any part of this Contract invalid, that part is modified to the least extent possible and the remainder of this Contract remains valid.
I have read, understand, and voluntarily agree to all of the terms and conditions set forth in this Trail Lesson Contract.
If applicable, I voluntarily agree on behalf of the Child to all of the terms and conditions set forth in this Trail Lesson Contract.